Head of Investigative Team
Gizmodo Media Group is looking for an editor to lead our investigative team. This position will focus on breaking news, data-driven journalism and long-term investigative projects. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated history of conceiving and executing investigative work. They will be an excellent editor, a relentless reporter and a strong narrative storyteller who can guide a digital team in producing original, in-depth multimedia stories.
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Earther, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik, TrackRecord and The Root. As part of Fusion Media Group, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
This role will require the ability to:
- Oversee a dedicated team in the reporting and writing of short and long term investigative projects, helping to shape ideas and leads into executable and original investigations.
- Seek the truth tenaciously, hold the powerful to account and uncover systemic abuses & injustice.
- Use sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting, and other tools effectively to produce exclusive stories.
- Navigate spreadsheets and identify potential data to help team in leveraging existing databases and acquiring/creating new datasets to inform investigations.
- Edit the team’s storytelling for accountability, fairness, accuracy and impact.
- Work with our General Counsel to lead/participate in workshops and instructional sessions on all aspects of investigative journalism techniques.
- Utilize the unique skills of the team in collaboration with Editors-in-Chief to elevate ideas and execution of special projects across all sites.
- Work closely with investigative teams across Fusion Media Group to maximize collaboration opportunities and expand the reach of enterprise projects.
- Help recruit great talent for the team.
- Manage the team’s operating budget.
- Be a vocal and constructive member of our executive news leadership team.
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- 7-10 years of investigative journalism experience with demonstrated results and proven track record.
- Ability to set and enforce deadlines, provide constructive feedback and work closely with reporters to expand their research, reporting and writing skills.
- Extremely strong leadership skills with proven ability to manage a team effectively in a fast-paced digital environment.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the FMG organization.
- Enthusiastic and dynamic team player with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility.
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Knowledge of FOIA laws and publicly available records/data preferred.
- Strong commitment, and proven track record, of hiring diverse talent.
- A fearless and dogged approach to journalism and a sense of humor.
- Experience in television and video journalism a plus.
If you think you are the right fit, please apply with a CV, a cover letter explaining why you are the next best candidate for this role, and a memo that shows us your vision for an investigative unit in a fast-paced digital environment.
GMG and its parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
The position is based in New York City.